Remember when as a kid, a hot dog meant a tin of sausages in brine put into a finger shaped bun with a bit of onion on top?
Nothing wrong in that, we loved them, but grown-up hot dogs can now hold their own against the burger.
Here’s The Version’s recipe for the ultimate posh dog – with the best onions you’ll have ever tasted.
- Good-quality pork sausages (go for the highest percentage of pork).
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp yellow or black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- French sticks or quality bread rolls
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- large pinch brown or muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp wine or cider vinegar
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Place the sausages in a non-stick baking tray and roast for 20 mins (alternatively grill them). Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onions and mustard seeds together for 10-15 mins until softened and golden.
2. Remove the sausages and brush with the maple syrup. Increase the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and return the tray for 5-8 mins until the sausages are dark, shiny and cooked through. Stir the mustard, sugar and vinegar into the onions until the sugar has melted. Cut the baguettes/bread rolls open across the top and put 2 sausages into each. Spoon over the onions and serve with slaw and/or pickles.
Wash this dish down with a light pale ale or sweet white wine.